WHAT TO CONSIDER WHEN CHOOSING AN INSULATED PANEL FOR YOUR PROJECT?
With the increase of the use of insulating panels, many customers think that insulated panels became a commodity.
WHAT IS A COMMODITY?
“A commodity is an economic good or service that has full or substantial fungibility: that is, the market treats instances of the good as equivalent or nearly so with no regard to who produced them.” (Wikipedia)
In our opinion, considering insulation panels as a commodity is certainly a mistake.
WHAT TO CONSIDER WHEN CHOOSING AN INSULATED PANEL?
BEFORE THE PURCHASE
Before the purchase of insulated panels, you have to identify the needs of your project.
- What will be the application of the panel: roof or wall?
- The working environment of the insulated panel: aggressive or non-aggressive?
- What are the fire safety requirements of the project?
- Aesthetic needs of the project are important?
- What will be the resistance to snow loads of the roof?
- What will be the resistance to wind loads of the wall?
- Do you need noise isolation as well?
WHAT TYPE OF INDUSTRIAL INSULATION IS THE BEST?
There is no best type of insulation. There is a type of insulation that better fits your project needs.
INSULATED PANELS ARE NOT ALL THE SAME
The insulating panels are not all the same. Certain characteristics make insulated panels different from each other. Therefore, it is very important to check the features of insulated panels to comply with project requirements first. And do not rely only on the price of insulated panels.
For example, the density of PUR or PIR foam, which has always to be at least 40 kg/m2. Or the thickness of the sheets that has to align with project needs in terms of resistance, aesthetic needs, and efficiency.
So, is it wrong to call insulated panels commodities? Yes, it is wrong. Because we can have two products with different prices but different characteristics as well. Therefore, it would be unfair to offer the same price for a 40 mm insulated panel with both sides pre-painted in 100 micron PVC and a 40 mm panel with both sides pre-painted with 25-micron polyester. Why?
Because it is a product that has superior characteristics. Therefore, it cannot have the same price as a product that has inferior characteristics.
WHAT ARE CORE ADVANTAGES OF SANDWICH PANELS?
Core features of sandwich panels that have produced the rapid growth of their usage, particularly in construction and refrigeration, include:
- Thermal resistance. The use of sandwich panels minimizes thermal bridges through the joints;
- Acoustic insulation: the installation of a system with sandwich panels contributes to reducing the diffusion of noise;
- Fire behavior. Sandwich panels have different fire behaviors, resistance and reaction, depending on the type of insulation and the metal sheet thickness. The user will need to choose between the different sandwich panel types, depending on the requirements;
- Impermeability: The assembly system of sandwich panels helps create air and water-tight buildings.
For example, if you have to build a cold-room for sea-foods processing, we recommend using a type of coating that better resists the aggressive environment. Here you can find recommendations when choose FM approved insulated metal panel for your project.
After reading this blog post, you know what to consider when choosing an insulated panel for your project. If you still have any doubts, do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are here to help you to choose the right product for your project!