In this blog, we will go through a top-rated application of insulated metal panels: the photovoltaic roof. Firstly, we explain which type of insulated metal panels are the most suitable for a base for photovoltaic solar panels. Secondly, we will shed light on what kind of steel and pre-painting it is necessary to choose. As a result, the metallic sandwich panel will last as long as the PV solar panel, avoiding costly repairs.
As a premise, I would like to emphasize that our experience in the use of photovoltaic solar panels on insulated metal roof panels derives from sales and installations that we have made in Europe in the last 15 years.
Photovoltaic solar panels can compromise your insulating roof sandwich panels in 4 different ways:
1. It is necessary to drill the insulated metal panel external surface in order to place on the roof the support brackets of a photovoltaic solar panel. Thus exposing the core of the steel (the one not protected by pre-painting) to atmospheric agents and, therefore, to the risk of corrosion.
2. Once we install photovoltaic solar panels on the insulated metal roof panels and connected to the circuit, they begin to transform solar energy into electricity. This process heats the photovoltaic solar panel, thus triggering chemical reactions that may damage the paint of the insulating sandwich panel.
3. It is usually not necessary to wash the insulating sandwich panels of your roof because often, the rain takes care of washing away the aggressive particles. But in the case of a photovoltaic roof, the solar panels prevent the rain from adequately washing the surface of insulating sandwich roof panels.
We can eliminate the first three risks by choosing an insulated metal panel with pre-painted ultra-resistant steel. We recommend Colorcoat HPS200 Ultra® produced by Tata Steel, which has a guarantee for up to 20 years.
4. The passage of the electrical circuits of the photovoltaic solar panels may cause sparks that could ignite the metal sandwich panels and therefore cause dangerous fires.
How to prevent the fire from spreading outside the point of origin? First of all, we recommend the installation of insulating panels in PIR foam or Rockwool. These types of insulation have excellent behavior and resistance to fire.
Of course, our technical staff will be happy to recommend the product that best suits your needs.
Read other articles of the Aggressive Environment series that consists of:
- Aggressive Environment: Solutions for insulating metal panels | Cold Room
- Aggressive Environment: Solutions for insulation sandwich panels | Marine
USA | MEXICO | JAMAICA | CENTRAL AMERICA