INSTALLATION OF A HIGH – SPEED DOOR GENERATES A ROI OF 225%
In this article, we will give you an overview of a recent case study on the usage of cold-room doors aimed to double their lifespan and reduce operational costs.
DESCRIPTION OF CASE STUDY:
Object: Installation of a high-speed door doubles the life-span of cold-room sliding doors, and cuts maintenance costs
The purpose of this case study: To demonstrate that the installation of a high-speed door is an investment that generates a very high return because it doubles the lifespan of cold-room sliding doors and cuts costs of maintenance dramatically.
Sector: Refrigerated Food Logistics
STEP #1: THE CURRENT SITUATION OF COLD – ROOM SLIDING DOORS
In July 2018, during a visit to a recently-build refrigerated distribution center, we noticed that all the cold-room sliding doors were seriously damaged.
These cold-room sliding doors separate the Freezer from a Cooler area, where workers load trucks with goods to deliver.
At first glance, we focus on these details immediately:
- We detect several bump signs on the cold-room sliding door
- The bumps on the lower side have badly damaged the sliding system
- Ice formation on the outer frame of the door
When we approach the door, we see the impact of ice formation:
- The frost built up such a thick layer on the rail of the cold-room sliding door, that now it cannot close anymore, creating a leak of chilled air
- The ice has pushed the door away from the frame and damaged the sliding system
The strip curtain that laid behind the sliding door is completely torn apart from the use:
- At the time being, the strip curtain is useless
- Constant hits from forklifts damaged the strip curtain
STEP #2: ASSESSING THE DAMAGE:
To appraise the damage and evaluate the advantage of installing a high-speed door, we did the following:
- Firstly, we assessed the cost of replacing every single door once in 10 years;
- Secondly, we evaluated its life-span, based on the current experience;
- Finally, we compared the ROI of this scenario against the ROI of the installation of a rapid-roll door.
STEP #3: THE EVALUATION O THE RETURN OF INVESTMENT
Based on the actual situation, below we calculate the total costs for a 10-year life span for a sliding cold room:
- In the observed case, without high – speed door installed, the investor had to change the sliding cold-room at least every five years;
- The lack of a high-speed door generated increased maintenance costs for the sliding cold – room door (e.g. change of gaskets, repair of the sliding system, change of the handle);
- In the case where a high-speed door is present, we see a higher initial investment;
- The high-speed door decreases dramatically the cost of maintenance of the sliding door, effectively doubling the life-span of the sliding cold – room door;
- We come to the conclusion that the installation of a high-speed door generates an ROI of 225%.
In conclusion, please find the ROI calculation breakdown:
|WITHOUT HIGH-SPEED DOOR||WITH HIGH-SPEED
|DOOR TYPE||4 x 4 m Low Temp Sliding Door||4 x 4 m Low Temp Sliding Door|
|HIGH-SPEED DOOR||NOT||4 x 4 m Low Temp High-Speed Door|
|LIFESPAN||5 YEARS||10 YEARS|
|ISTALLATION COSTS||10.000,00 $||14.000,00 $|
|ON A 10 YEARS SCENARIO||ON A 10 YEARS SCENARIO|
|ISTALLATION COSTS||20.000,00 $||14.000,00 $|
|MAINTENANCE / 1 YEARS||900,00 $||200,00 $|
|MAINTENANCE / 10 YEARS||9.000,00 $||2000,00 $|
|TOTAL COST||29.000,00 $||16 000,00 $|
*ROI = (GAIN FROM INVESTMENT – COST OF INVESTMENT)/COST OF INVESTMENT